Welcome to In The Know! Your daily dose of news you might have missed during your busy day at the office!
- Researchers at Stetson University found that there was “no evidence violent video games increase bullying or delinquent behaviour.’ They went on to state that games such as GTA could actually be therapeutic. Source:http://www.dailymail.co.uk
- Five thousand Game Stop store managers and customers gathered in Las Vegas earlier this week to test out the new consoles at the Game Stop Expo. The new consoles are expected to bring in the big bucks after sales fell from $18 billion in 2010 to $13.2 billion in 2012. Source: http://www.usatoday.com
- Need another reason to play video games…? Apparently, they can even be educational. The National STEM Video Game Challenge is asking kids to design and submit their own video game! The only caveat – It has to inspire learning in the sciences and technology!
- Aside from designing one of the strangest looking handheld devices, the 2DS, Nintendo also slashed the price of the Wii U by $50, effective September 20th. Source: http://www.gmanetwork.com
- Speaking of the 2DS, Nintendo priced the gadget at $130. It’s set to be released October 12th, alongside a new Pokemon game. Source: http://www.gmanetwork.com
- A study by the Entertainment Software Association (ESA) found that three-quarter of all moms play video games. Does anyone else feel a little less cool? Source: http://www.redorbit.com/
- Love Resident Evil and Halloween? Book your ticket to Universal Orlando! Resident Evil is getting its very own haunted house. The event runs from Sept 20th to Nov 2nd. Source: http://blog.zap2it.com
- Love vintage? You ain’t the only one. Video game titles from the 80’s and 90’s are making a huge come back. Prices for such novelty items range from a measly $1.99 to over $800 for the more rare titles. Source: http://www.thespec.com